We are one of the few co-ops in New York City blessed with beautiful interior gardens: a gorgeous new roof deck and container garden with several landscaped areas in the upper level; and a courtyard with a lush, shady tree and lots of flowers and plants, and a toddlers’ playground (see Playground) in the lower level.
Upper-level roof deck and garden
The upper-level roof deck and container garden was completed in Summer 2016 and has several beautifully appointed areas for the enjoyment of our residents, including:
- Boardwalk atop a green roof
- Shaded tree grove
- Elevated sun deck
- Informal dining area
- Pergola-covered dining area
- Artificial turf activity area
- Garden nook
Rules and regulations
- Please be respectful and considerate of your neighbors at all times. There are apartments that are on the same level of the roof.
- Quiet hours apply to the roof deck. After 11 PM the roof deck can still be used, but voices and noise should be at a minimum. Please be considerate to your neighbors.
- Pets are not allowed on the roof deck or the lower courtyard at any time. Pets are not allowed to pass between Nagle and Bogardus. Pets are allowed to pass through the trash area from the Bogardus basement exit to the Bogardus exit ramp.
- Smoking is not permitted on the roof deck or in the lower courtyard other than in the northeast corner of the lower courtyard away from the building by the large tree. All trash from smoking in the designated area must be cleaned up by the smoker(s) and not left on the ground. Ashes and embers can damage the roof membrane and void the
- No open flames are allowed on the roof deck. BBQing will still be allowed but must be done on the lower courtyard. Candles are not permitted on the roof deck. Open flames can damage the roof membrane and void the warranty.
- Furniture can be moved but must be placed back in its original location after it is used. Please do not drag the furniture as it can damage the decking.
- Personal items should not be left or stored without consent from the Board of Directors.
- Please clean up after each use. Residents are responsible for making sure that all trash and recyclables are thrown away properly.
- Gatherings of 10 or more people (non-residents) must be approved. Please contact the management office to request information.
- Gatherings are not exclusive events. The roof deck is open to all residents to use during normal hours.
- Children under the age of 13 must be supervised by an adult at all times.
- Ball playing on the roof deck should only be done on the artificial grass, and balls should not be thrown against the building.
- Please do not do any gardening or touch the water hoses and sprinklers.
These rules are subject to change by the Board of Directors at any time. Violation of the rules will receive a warning for the first offense and $50 fine for a second offense. Repeated offenses will result in further legal action.
Many residents enjoy planting their own flowers in the lower-level courtyard, which contributes to the beauty of the space for all who use it. The co-op usually organizes a yearly planting day in the spring. If you would like to plant in the garden, please remember a few common-sense guidelines:
- There are garden tools and supplies in the shed in the courtyard. Feel free to use them, but treat them gently and please be careful.
- Clean up after yourself. Please bring food and other garbage indoors and dispose of it properly. This is not the super’s responsibility.
- The co-op is not responsible for any damage to plants.
If you would like to schedule a gathering of 10 or more people in our gardens (daytime only), this requires permission of the Board. Please contact our managing agent for more information.