Made up of volunteer residents, NaBors Green Committee strives to promote the responsible use of energy and resources to help create a healthier environment and a more sustainable community. By making nontoxic and eco-friendly choices for our buildings, we can enjoy a better quality of life, reduce waste and save money.
At the end of 2014, NaBors joined two new recycling programs sponsored by New York City:
- re-fashioNYC – a textiles recycling bin is located in the laundry room in the basement of 37 Nagle Ave. We encourage you to recycle clean clothing, fabrics and shoes.
- e-cycleNYC – an electronics waste recycling bin is located by the elevator in the basement of 37 Nagle Ave. We encourage you to recycle your unwanted electronics, especially because, in 2015, our co-op could be fined if e-waste is found in our regular garbage, where it is no longer legal to deposit it.
NaBors Green Committee hopes to explore additional ways to benefit our urban environment and everyday lives, such as:
- providing additional recycling programs
- bulk purchasing of energy-saving light bulbs
- using nontoxic cleaners and paints in our buildings
- promoting sustainable expansion of our courtyard garden
For the long term, you can expect us to investigate a range of strategies to green our co-op, raise our quality of life, and be examples in our community of healthy green living and urban environmentalism.
Please join us in our efforts to make healthier and smarter choices for our buildings and our community. To join the committee, please e-mail
- Our electronics and textiles recycling efforts are a success! (2016-03-16)
- Drawings/schematics for the NaBors Roof Project (2016-02-25)
- NaBors joins re-fashioNYC program (2015-08-20)
- NaBors is now enrolled in e-cycleNYC! (2015-01-10)
- Unplug Your Cell Phone Charger to Save Energy (2010-11-21)
- Start Small and Think Long-Term: Saving Energy (2009-11-20)
- An Apartment Gets a Green Makeover (2009-07-17)