Please help our super and the co-op in our recycling efforts. When we recycle, we help protect the environment by reusing materials that would otherwise end up in waste dumps here in New York State and throughout the world. Besides, recycling is the law in New York City. Every time we don’t recycle properly, our buildings get charged a fine (currently between $500 and $2,000 per violation). These fines could translate into higher maintenance and rent charges to you in the future.
You can dispose of your recyclable items in the recycling bins located in the basement of your building, by the laundry room. Please sort your recyclables as follows:
In the blue bins with blue (or clear) plastic bags …
- Plastic bottles and jugs, including milk, juice, soap containers with narrow necks
- Glass bottles and jars
- Beverage cartons and drink boxes
- Aluminum products, including foil and disposable pans
- Metal cans
- Household metal scraps, such as old metal pans, irons, and wire hangers
- Empty aerosol cans
- Paint cans (remove the lids and recycle them as well)
- (Note: All containers should be rinsed clean before recycling.)
In the green bins with clear plastic bags …
- Magazines, newspapers, catalogs, phone books
- Paper and envelopes, computer paper
- Paper bags
- Cardboard products (remove and discard inside wrappers from cardboard boxes)
- Cardboard/paper egg cartons (no Styrofoam)
- Pizza boxes (discard food scraps)
- Corrugated cardboard boxes should be broken down and placed next to the recycling bins
Do not recycle anything else: do not recycle glass items other than bottles and jars, other kinds of plastics like deli and yogurt containers, Styrofoam, plastic toys, etc. Discard these items in the regular trash cans (with black plastic bags).
For information on discarding regular garbage, see Garbage Disposal. See also Recycling – Electronics and Recycling – Clothes, Linens, Shoes and Accessories.