Reproduced here for your convenience are the House Rules, which form part of the Proprietary Lease. Shareholders, tenants, and sublessees are bound by these rules. Failure to follow them constitutes a violation of the Proprietary Lease. In the House Rules, “Lessor” refers to the co-op corporation as represented by the Board of Directors. If you want to request approval for an activity listed in the House Rules, submit your request to the Board of Directors via the managing agent.
These House Rules are not the only rules that shareholders, tenants, and sublessees must abide by; additional rules and regulations are instituted occasionally during meetings of the Board of Directors. Additional rules and regulations are summarized in this Co-op Handbook.
1. The Lessee shall provide the Lessor and its managing agent a telephone number where the Lessee may be reached at home and at the Lessee’s place of business and also shall provide the Lessor an emergency contact name and telephone number.
2. The Lessee shall place with the superintendent a set of keys for the Lessee’s apartment, to be used only in emergencies.
3. The public halls and stairways of the building shall not be obstructed or used for any purpose other than ingress to and egress from the apartments in the building.
4. No one may smoke in the public halls, stairways, elevators, laundry rooms or other public areas of the building.
5. No article shall be placed in the public halls or on the staircase landings, nor shall anything be hung or shaken from the doors, windows or fire escapes or placed upon the window sills of the building.
6. No tricycles, bicycles, scooters or similar vehicles or baby carriages shall be allowed to stand in the public halls, passageways, courtyards or other public areas of the building.
7. No public hall of the building shall be decorated or furnished by any Lessee in any manner without the prior consent of all of the Lessees to whose apartments such hall serves as a means of ingress and egress. In the event of disagreement among such Lessees, the Board of Directors shall decide.
8. Children shall not play in the public halls, stairways, elevators or laundry rooms.
9. All children in the playground area must be supervised by an adult. The playground equipment is for the use of children age 5 and under.
10. No awnings, window air-conditioning units or ventilators shall be used in or about the building except such as shall have been approved in writing by the Lessor or the managing agent, nor shall anything be projected out of any window of the building without similar approval.
11. No sign, notice, advertisement or illumination shall be inscribed or exposed on or at any window or other part of the building, except such as shall have been approved in writing by the Lessor or the managing agent.
12. No one is permitted on the roof except in the case of fire.
13. No Lessee shall make or permit any disturbing noises in the building or do or permit anything to be done therein which will interfere with the rights, comfort or convenience of other Lessees. No Lessee shall play upon or suffer to be played upon any musical instrument or permit to be operated a stereo or a radio or television loud speaker or any other source of amplified sound in such Lessee’s apartment between the hours of eleven (11:00) o’clock p.m. and the following eight (8:00) o’clock a.m. if the same shall disturb or annoy other occupants of the building. No construction or repair work or other installation involving noise shall be conducted in any apartment except between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Move in/move out times must be approved in writing by Lessor.
14. All nonresidents seeking entrance to the building must be either heard on the voice intercom or seen through the security camera before being permitted to enter.
15. Garbage and refuse from the apartments shall be disposed of only at times and in such manner as the superintendent or the managing agent of the building may direct.
16. All paper, plastic, glass, metal and foil deemed appropriate by city ordinance for recycling shall be disposed of in the appropriate containers.
17. No radio or television aerial or satellite dish shall be attached to or hung from the exterior of the building without the prior written approval of the Lessor or the managing agent.
18. The Lessee shall purchase and maintain adequate homeowners insurance coverage. The insurance policy must include personal property loss and liability coverage. The Lessee must provide the Lessor with documentation of compliance with the requirements of this house rule.
19. Water closets and other water apparatus in the building shall not be used for any purposes other than those for which they were constructed, nor shall any sweepings, rubbish, rags or any other article be thrown into the water closets. The cost of repairing any damage resulting from misuse of any water closets or other apparatus shall be paid for by the Lessee in whose apartment it shall have been caused.
20. Cats, dogs, and other pets are permitted in the building only if the pets do not create a nuisance. Dogs must be licensed by the New York City Department of Health. Cats must be spayed or neutered and must have received all customary immunizations. Pet owners are required to provide the Lessor with documentation of compliance with the requirements of this house rule. In no event shall dogs or cats be permitted on elevators or in any of the public portions of the building unless carried or on a leash. No pigeons or other birds or animals shall be fed from the window sills, or in the yard, court spaces or other public portions of the building, or on the sidewalk or street adjacent to the building. Pet owners are responsible for eliminating any odor or other byproducts of their pets.
21. No Lessee shall send any employee of the Lessor out of the building on any private business of a Lessee.
22. No vehicle belonging to a Lessee or to a member of the family or guest, subtenant or employee of a Lessee shall be parked in such manner as to impede or prevent ready access to any entrance of the building by another vehicle.
23. The Lessor shall have the right from time to time to curtail or relocate any space devoted to storage purposes. Storing hazardous or flammable material, such as paint, in a storage bin is not permitted.
24. The floors of each apartment must be covered with rugs or carpeting or equally effective noise-reducing material to the extent of at least eighty (80%) percent of the floor area of each room excepting only kitchens, bathrooms, closets and foyers.
25. No group tour or exhibition of any apartment or its contents shall be conducted, nor shall any auction sale be held in any apartment without the prior written consent of the Lessor or its managing agent.
26. The Lessee shall keep the windows of the apartment clean. In case of refusal or neglect of the Lessee within ten (10) days after notice in writing from the Lessor or the managing agent to clean the windows, such cleaning may be done by the Lessor, which shall have the right, by its officers or authorized agents, to enter the apartment for the purpose of such cleaning and to charge the cost of such cleaning to the Lessee.
27. The agents of the Lessor, and any contractor or employee authorized by the Lessor, may enter any apartment at any reasonable hour of the day for the purpose of inspecting such apartment to ascertain whether measures are necessary or desirable to control or exterminate any vermin, insects or other pests and for the purpose of taking such measures as may be necessary to control or exterminate any such vermin, insects or other pests. If the Lessor takes measures to control or exterminate carpet beetles, the cost thereof shall be payable by the Lessee, as additional rent.
28. Complaints regarding maintenance of the buildings shall be made in writing to the managing agent of the Lessor.
29. The Lessee shall abide by all arrangements made by the Lessor with the garage operator with regard to the garage and driveways thereto.
30. Any consent or approval given under these House Rules by the Lessor shall be revocable at any time.
31. These House Rules may be added to, amended or repealed at any time by resolution of the Board of Directors of the Lessor.